Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lordy, Lordy!

I needed something quick to make for dinner with ingredients I had on hand.  So...I got on the internet (I swear, I love the internet) and found a recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara.  And OH MY GOODNESS was it good.  I had nothing thawed from the freezer so this worked perfect.  I had plenty of time today to think about dinner and take something out of the freezer but I was in a complete daze all day.  Harlon woke up at 11:30pm the other night and I couldn't him back to sleep.  In order to not interupt my hubby who gets up early enough as it is to work his 12 hour day I took Harlon into the spare bedroom and slept there.  I don't mind doing this now that he has already developed good sleep habits but I never sleep well with him in the bed.  Then last night he woke up at 4:30am, crying and soaked from his diaper leaking.  I took him in the spare bedroom only this time he never went back to sleep, UGH!  Also,  now that he regularly sleeps 12 hours at night it seems like such a BIG deal to me when he doesn't.  I've decided it's because when he was itty bitty and waking regularly to eat it was not big deal.  He didn't run all day long like he does now.  He ate, slept and pooped.  That's it!  Now, I am either playing, singing, chasing, reading books, fixing meals or snacks, pouring milk or water and well...you get it.  He's been chewing on his hands all day so I gave him some Tylenol before bed in hopes that it will help him sleep and ease the pain of teething. 
Ingredients


1 pound spaghetti

1 tablespoon olive oil

8 slices bacon, diced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)

4 eggs

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1.In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti pasta until al dente. Drain well. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and set aside.

2.Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook chopped bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain onto paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat; add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and heat in reused large skillet. Add chopped onion, and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add wine if desired; cook one more minute.

3.Return cooked bacon to pan; add cooked and drained spaghetti. Toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add beaten eggs and cook, tossing constantly with tongs or large fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember that bacon and Parmesan are very salty).

4.Serve immediately with chopped parsley sprinkled on top, and extra Parmesan cheese at table.
As you can see, he loved the spaghetti as much as Jase and I did.  He was so grumpy all day.  As soon as he saw Jase he perked right up. Poor kid, he probably gets sick to death of me all day everyday.  :)  Also, I have to give props to my hubby who has enjoyed wine with me at dinner 2 times this week.  While Jase does appreciate a good glass of wine he is more of a beer man.  Me on the other hand, I am a total wino!  Ha!  Anyway, I love it when he has a glass with me.

1 comment:

Pinkus47@hotmail.com said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!! I so need to kiss Harlon on his face! Um, I do plan on making that recipe, I like a lot ;)