Saturday, April 24, 2010

King Ranch Chicken

Oh King Ranch Chicken...the first time my hubby (boyfriend at the time) made you for me I knew that I'd come home!  My good friend Karen inspired me to post this recipe.  Her last post was about discovering Sonic and Rotel, and all the joys of the South.  King Ranch Chicken is sort of a Texas staple.  If you don't like it you're pretty much crazy! Ha!  It is one of my guilty pleasures.  There are a couple ways to make it. Also, Karen if you are really feeling adventurous you have to try Rotel dip with tortilla chips (Velveeta and Rotel all melted together) sick I know but it is to die for! When I'm in a hurry I make it like this:

2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed


1 green or red bell pepper diced

1 medium onion diced

1 can Rotel

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 ¼ cups sour cream (you can skip the sour cream and use another can of cream of chicken soup if you want)

10-12 corn tortillas

2-3 cups of monterey jack/cheddar cheese blend



Saute the chicken in a little oil, salt and pepper

When chicken is almost done add in the bell pepper and onion, sauté until chicken is done and veggies are tender.
Combine in a bowl the Rotel, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and cooked chicken/veggie mixture.
Spray the bottom of a 9x13 dish with cooking spray.

Lay down 5 or 6 tortillas

Cover the tortillas with half of the chicken mixture

Cover with half of the cheese

Repeat

Cook on 350 until cheese is bubbly.

OR a real fancy version I got from The Homesick Texan blog

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/10/king-of-casseroles-king-ranch-chicken.html

I hear my father-in-law makes a spectacular version but I have never had the pleasure of eating it.  Maybe if I'm lucky he will share his secrets!

1 comment:

Pinkus47@hotmail.com said...

this is on my menu this week! This is just what we like too.