Friday, April 10, 2009

Beef-and-Portobello Minestroganoff

I wanted to share the recipe that Jase and I tried tonight for dinner. It's a Rachel Ray recipe once again but I altered it just a bit. Make sure you enjoy a glass or 2 of Merlot while cooking. I chose Smoking Loon Merlot tonight, one of my favorite inexpensive wines.

1 1/2 Tbl. olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, halved and thickly sliced
1/2 lb. ground sirlion (I used 1 lb-Jase like meat)
Salt and Pepper
4 cups of chicken broth (I used beef broth)
One 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 cup tiny pasta, such as ditalini (I used tiny wheels, all I could find)
1/4 cup sour cream
I also added one can of cannelini beans, drained

1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over med-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Transfer veggies to bowl. Add the beef to pot and cook over med-high heat, breaking it up, until browned, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the veggies back in, chicken or beef broth, tomatoes and beans if you add them.
2. Stir in the pasta and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until pasta is tender, 10-12 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with the sour cream. If you add more meat add a little more liquid.

1 comment:

Jeff and Kim said...

I love Smoking Loon and I do LOVE that you are sharing recipes! :) Happy Easter!